4 edition of The History Of The First Inebriate Asylum In The World found in the catalog.
|Statement||Kessinger Publishing, LLC|
|Publishers||Kessinger Publishing, LLC|
|LC Classifications||July 25, 2007|
|The Physical Object|
|Pagination||xvi, 105 p. :|
|Number of Pages||93|
nodata File Size: 10MB.
This work is in the public domain in the United States of America, and possibly other nations. Description and history [ ] The former New York State Inebriate Asylum building is located high on a prominent hilltop in eastern Binghamton, at 425 Robinson Street. 1 ha landmarked area Built 1858 1858 Architect Architectural style NRHP reference No. The service wing has since been demolished.
The New York State Inebriate Asylum is nationally significant under Criteria A and C, with its period of significance ranging from 1858 to 1879. For additional information, see the Global Shipping Program This amount includes applicable customs duties, taxes, brokerage and other fees.
Administrative functions were confined to a central core, and patients were housed in long flanking wings, which were subdivided into sections based on gender and type and severity of illness. Service functions were generally accommodated at the rear of the administrative core, often in a secondary wing placed perpendicular to the main, rectangular block.
In 2015, announced it had taken stewardship of the building and will proceed with plans for rehabilitation of the building. Very minimal damage to the cover including scuff marks, but no holes or tears. MOST OF THESE WORKS WERE SCANNED FROM LIBRARY COPIES. Media and Public Relations - Binghamton University. The inebriate asylum was an outgrowth of major changes in American attitudes toward alcohol that occurred between the Revolution and the Civil War.
During this period, drunkenness was seen as the cause of nearly all social and economic problems. Significant dates Added to NRHP July 24, 1996 Designated NHL December 9, 1997 The New York State Inebriate Asylum, later known as Binghamton State Hospital, was the first institution designed and constructed to treat as a mental disorder in the United States.
In 2015, announced it had taken stewardship of the building and published plans for rehabilitation of the building.
The building remained in use as a mental hospital or psychiatric services center until 1993, when it was closed due to inadequate maintenance. In Kirkbride plan hospitals, the functional divisions of the buildings were clearly articulated in their plans. Scholars believe, and we concur, that this work is important enough to be preserved, reproduced, and made generally available to the public.
The asylum was chartered in 1854, but site work and construction on this campus did not begin until 1857, in what were then the rural outskirts of Binghamton.
It was founded in 1858.
Therefore, you will see the original copyright references, library stamps as most of these works have been housed in our most important libraries around the world , and other notations in the work.